Friday, November 18, 2011

Paid off the Truck!

A few weeks ago we paid off the truck!  I know I said I'd post after it happened, but my life has been busy the last few weeks and I haven't had time to sit down and post about it.

I'm very happy to be making progress towards our goal of being debt free.  Paying off the truck was a wonderful experience.  We drove down to Salem on Friday afternoon, October 30th.  The traffic was surprisingly light and we made good time.  We drove straight to Oregon Community Credit Union and plopped down the final $941 dollars left on the loan in cash.  The teller smiled and congratulated us on paying the loan off and wished us luck with the debt snowball.  There were cookies and candy in the lobby, too, so we helped ourselves to some while we waited in line.

The title to the truck arrived in the mail about a week later.  This is the first time I've ever had the title to a vehicle I bought myself.  It was a very gratifying experience.  I'm not sure I can adequately describe it, but I felt power and ownership over my life.  You might think that buying my house or some of the other things I own would have given me the same feeling, but this is really the first major purchase since I've had my new job and since we've been married, so it felt different.  I realize that we "bought" the truck last year before our marriage, but since we didn't actually own it (the bank did), paying off the loan felt like purchasing it and now I own it.  It's in my name.  It feels great.

No comments:

Post a Comment